Pages



Friday, September 02, 2016

James Martin's Turkey Tabbouleh With Lemon & Herbs


Guess who's back?! Yes, well done, it's me. This time I'm filled with a determination to keep my blog going! I think I've found my 'place' in the community & you'll soon see where that is after a few posts. I didn't feel that simply beauty blogging was being of much help or interest to people any more, so I'm moving into something that might.

ANYWAY! Enough about that, I can do a whole post in it later. Today's post is all about this AMAZING salad thing (it's called a tabbouleh but honestly I have no idea what that means as I am a mere human and not a chef). If you asked me if I liked salads a year ago I would've undoubtedly said no. Now, here I am, loving them. All it takes is about 10 gallons of coriander, a bit of lemon and a bunch of unexpected ingredients rather than the classic lettuce and cucumber combo. Yes, I am addicted to coriander and I'll own up to that now.


So this tabbouleh (erm, salad thing), has a very fresh taste with crunchy textures from nuts and seeds, as well as some squishiness from the apricots, and the meaty texture of turkey. Different textures in meals are always good to me, and somehow it makes it easier to eat. I find it difficult to eat things of one texture, depending on what it is, because I'll start to feel sick, so this is great for me. I feel like meals like this are a great way to get a bunch of different good things in your body because there's quite a few great ingredients in one place, and they actually taste nice. Much easier than munching on a stick of celery.


The Recipe:

150g Bulgur Wheat
1 bunch spring onions, trimmed & sliced
150g chopped pecans
100g chopped apricots
100g dried cranberries
80g pomegranate seeds
Juice 4 lemons
6tbsp Cold-Pressed Rapeseed Oil
8tbsp torn flat parsley
8tbsp chopped coriander
5tbsp chopped mint
1tbsp harissa paste
1tbsp clear honey
340g turkey breast fillet OR alternative eg tofu


The Method:

Place the bulgur wheat in a bowl with 700ml cold water. Cover and leave for 30 mins or overnight.

Add the spring onions, pecans, apricots, cranberries, pomegranate, lemon juice, 5tbsp oil and the herbs. Mix & season (I didn't season mine).

Mix the remaining oil & harissa paste in a bowl. Slice the turkey into 1cm strips & add to the bowl, mixing to coat. Stir-fry until cooked, mix in the honey & season (I didn't season).

Add the turkey to the salad & toss to combine.

You can have this salad warm or cold - I opted for warm.

My Modifications:

So I halved the recipe since I was only doing it for two of us. I find I'm not a fan of apricots but I did like the texture they added, so I simply put a few less in there since I didn't want them to be the main ingredient. I am obsessed with coriander, so I took away from the parsley and replace some of it with coriander instead. The pecans are pretty nice in it, so I think next time I might add a few more of those since the crunch is pretty nice. Perhaps a few more cranberries too since I didn't really notice them in it at all.

Vegan alternative?

I am not a vegan, however I strive to eat less meat. If we all cut out a little meat then we'd reduce animal cruelty by so much, so I would really recommend it. To be honest, the turkey didn't feel like a main part to this salad at all and I'd be completely happy to just go without out and not replace it. However, if you want a replacement, I'd suggest tofu (I've never tried this but I've seen my flatmate use it) with the harissa or some similarly spicy thing, or a fruit like pineapple or mango, which you could also add the harissa & honey to, or you could go for chilli and ginger instead (I absolutely love pineapple with ginger and chilli). If you have any other suggestions for something to replace the turkey, definitely leave them in the comments!


So, there's one of the recipes I've been a fan of lately! It was so so easy to do since all you have to do is chop up some ingredients and shove them all together. I really like recipes like this because they don't take long at all.

Let me know your thoughts in the comments! <3

1 comment:

  1. That looks so good. I haven't tried any of the new James Martin recipes recently.

    http://lizziedailyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and replying to them. Feel free to leave a link to your blog at the end, but don't just reply so you can leave a link. Any comments about giveaways etc on your blog will be ignored, sorry! <3