Pages



Monday, September 12, 2016

Coverting to Vegan, Cruelty Free Makeup Only

Disclaimer, for all of you vegan-haters before you start reading this post: I'm not vegan. I eat meat. Okay, now carry on.


For years, I've been using makeup which tests on animals, and I still am now. This means that, in order to make myself look a little prettier, animals have to suffer. If you really think hard about that, it's horrible, and I've been doing a lot of hard thinking lately. Now, I am not vegan, as I've said, or even vegetarian, however I strive to eat less meat and reduce the amount of cruelty little by little, since personally I don't feel I could go cold turkey straight away, and I believe that doing good is good enough for now, since if everybody were to do one 'good' thing, like using vegan makeup products only, the amount of cruelty in the world would be reduced by so much.

When I was growing up, I didn't really care about animals. They were just animals to me. Now I'm older, and I still can't say I feel a huge connection to animals and a lot of them freak me out, but I hate to think of any animal at all going through any kind of suffering. I could write a whole post on how I feel about using animals for food (constant debate in my mind anyway), but for now I'm focusing on the cosmetics industry.

The thought of giving up Velvet Teddy - the one lipstick I wear every single day and adore - is a little sad, but not really that sad. I'm absolutely certain that I will find another which will match up to it. The thing about makeup is that it's all pretty much the same. Of course, there are the bad products, and there are the amazing products, but aside from that, i feel like it's all so similar. I have my preferences, like being in love with L'Oreal products on a whole, but I've used products that are similar to those and noticed only a small difference. Further to that, nobody else even notices any difference, or even gives a damn. Literally, I go into uni without makeup some days, and nobody cares. Nobody even looks at me. And if they do, I don't care what they think.

It might be a little challenging to go for all vegan products since it seems there aren't many around, but I'm going to be posting about them on my blog. If it happens that I can't find a vegan version of a product I need, I will settle for cruelty free. There are quite a few cruelty free brands out there, such as Revolution, MUA, Real Techniques, Tanya Burr. I'm going to need to research further, but I've seen it around that they're cruelty free. Sadly, L'Oreal are not (though they claim to be) and I'll be sad to let go of L'Oreal, but I'm sure my life will continue on as before.

If you know of any amazing cruelty free / vegan products, please let me know! I'd love some recommendations. It feels a bit like starting again with beauty when I was figuring out the good brands and products, now I'm having to do it again but the vegan version.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. I'm not vegan or vegetarian but I do believe that the use of animals should be reduced in the meat industry and that animal testing on beauty products particular should be stopped. I'm also trying to avert all my products to animal cruelty free but like you, finding it very difficult! I'll definitely be coming back to your blog to see what products you find! Great post Becky!

    Tabitha x
    http://whattabithaloves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and replying to them. Feel free to leave a link to your blog at the end, but don't just reply so you can leave a link. Any comments about giveaways etc on your blog will be ignored, sorry! <3