Vegetarian Christmassy Dinner with Sprouts & Pineapple!


Christmas time is my favourite time! I'LL SAY IT A THOUSAND TIMES. I said time too many times. Help.

Yesterday I did a spot of cooking. It was v exciting. I whacked out a brand spankin new recipe and decided I'd give it a whirl and hope I didn't poison anybody. I must admit that the results were quite spectacular and I absolutely HAVE to share it with you so that you can all try out this festive feast.

Nigella has thrown her food knowledge into a magazine so that I can enjoy a wonderful meal. What a woman. It's a stir-fried rice dish with sprouts, coriander, coconut, ginger and pineapple, among other ingredients. Basically, you wouldn't expect it to taste as amazing as it does, and you'd sort of expect some crazy mix of flavours. BOY WAS I WRONG. It was incred. I thought it'd make a great dish for those of you who aren't a huge fan of the traditional Christmas dinner, or just want a meal to set you up for Christmas but without just doing the classic turkey or whatever else.


This recipe serves 2-4 people.

You will need:

250g Brussels sprouts, trimmed
2 spring onions, trimmed
150g fresh pineapple cubes
3cm piece (15g) fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
2 tablespoons cold-pressed coconut oil
250g cooked and cooled brown rice
250g beansprouts
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander



Method:

1. With a sharp knife, thinly slice the Brussels sprouts and the spring onions, and mix the two together.

2. Cut the pineapples into 1cm dice and put in a bowl. Add the ginger and dried chilli flakes and stir to mix.

3. Over a vigorous heat, melt the coconut oil in a wok (or similar). Toss in the sprouts and spring onions and stir-fry for about 3 minutes (the sprouts will scorch in places).

4. Add the rice and mix quickly, then add the beansprouts and the pineapple mix (and any juice that has collected) and stir-fry for a minute or so before adding the soy sauce, lime juice and 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander. Stir-fry for another minute or until it's hot.

5. Transfer to hot bowls and sprinkle the remaining coriander on top.


It's such a delicious recipe. It tastes very coconuty and coriandery, and has a crunch from the beansprouts, and the texture of the pineapple adds a sort of 'meaty' element. I always like to have something which reminds me of meat if I'm having a vegetarian dish, since I think meat adds a nice texture. 

You could probably add meat if you wanted, but I think it's good to eat less meat. The meat industry is very bad for the environment as well as very bad for the poor animals. I'm not sure if I'd ever completely give up meat, but reducing my in-take is definitely something I'm trying to do. Meat actually isn't too good for your health in some ways, such as the fact it builds up the body's immunity to penicillin, which is used to treat a variety of things, and being immune to it is a very bad thing.


So what do you think? Would you try this dish? I think it's quite subtly Christmasy with the sprouts and ginger, and it's something different. It's also very healthy! Thanks, Nigella!


Comments

Popular Posts