Pages



Sunday, August 23, 2015

Doffins Recipe

doffins recipe

Doffins are pretty new to me. Maybe they're a whole new thing. I feel like people try to make hybrids of foods a lot. Some, such as the cronut, are absolutely glorious. Doffins? I don't think they're on the same level as a cronut, but they're interesting at the very least. They're a cross between a donut and a muffin, hence doffin. I found my inspiration from Anna Saccone Joly (her baking videos always inspire me, along with How To Cake It which you NEED to check out right now).

They don't taste much like donuts to me. The concept is that they're healthier than donuts because you avoid the deep frying, I think. I've heard of people having them for breakfast (probably minus all of the sugar) so you could give that a go. They're quite light and less sweet than a normal muffin. They're hard to describe but they're really easy to make, so I think they'd be great to make with kids or if you don't want to spend a long time baking.

doffins recipe

The recipe is from Asda but I've edited certain parts to my taste (i.e. to somehow add chocolate). So the fillings aren't NEEDED and you could pick anything you want basically. I tried a few versions.

You will need:

For the doffins:

10g unsalted butter
  • 85ml sunflower oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 125ml milk
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 200g self-raising flour
  • 100g caster sugar

  • For the filling:

  • 125g raspberry jam (optional)
  • A bar of chocolate (optional)
  • Chocolate ganache (optional)
  • Fudge (optional)

  • For the coating:

  • 75g unsalted butter
  • 100g granulated sugar


doffins recipe

How To Make Them:


  1. For the doughnut muffins, pre-heat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5. Grease 12 holes of 2 muffin tins or silicone muffin trays with the unsalted butter. Put the sunflower oil, egg, milk and vanilla extract in a large bowl and beat with a fork until evenly blended.
  1. Sift the self-raising flour into another large bowl and stir in the caster sugar. Add the oil, egg and milk mixture and stir until just mixed. Don't stir too much or the dough will be tough; it doesn't matter if there are a few lumps.
  1. Put about half the mixture into the muffin tins.
  1. Using the raspberry jam, chocolate, ganache, fudge, or filling of your choice, put a slightly rounded tsp of jam (or a similar amount of another filling) in the middle of each muffin, then cover with the rest of the mixture. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and risen and the tops spring back when lightly pressed.
  1. Make the coating while the doughnut muffins are cooking. Melt the unsalted butter and put it in a bowl.
  1. Put the granulated sugar in another shallow bowl. For the chocolate coating, pour some sugar into a plate, then finely grate a bar of dark chocolate onto the plate so that you have half chocolate, half sugar or slightly less chocolate than sugar. You could also use cocoa powder. 
  2. As soon as the muffins are cooked, tip them out of the tins and immediately brush all over with the melted butter. Roll them in the granulated sugar or chocolate sugar mix until completely coated. Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.


doffins recipe

So basically I customised the fillings and coatings because chocolate is life. I tried chocolate, chocolate and fudge, raspberry, and plain. The chocolate was, of course, my favourite. I wanted to try a chocolate ganache filling, which I think would be really nice, but I didn't have any cream and was too lazy to go to the store (story of my life). You can find recipes for ganache online but it's basically heating up cream and pouring it over an equal amount of chopped up chocolate, then covering until almost melted, mixing until melting, and either using it as it is, or leaving it overnight at room temperature to thicken & then whipping.

Be aware that with the chocolate coating, the chocolate melts a little if the butter is too hot, so let it cool a little and be aware that they'll be more patchy than the sugar ones. Not that my sugar ones aren't patchy.


12 comments:

  1. These sounds so yummy! Thanks for sharing. =^-^=

    Sam | Momentarily Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh this is such a fab recipe! Definitely going to try this out over the bank holiday :) x

    Everything But The Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me pics if you do! They're so easy to make :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'd love to see pictures if you do try them :D

      Delete
  4. These look so delicious - may have to break my diet and bake these this weekend.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha well I am a firm believer of everything in moderation so I approve :)

      Delete
  5. Love this idea! I'm going to give this recipe a try one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I can't even cope with how amazing these look. Seriously, I bet these taste delicious! xx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and replying to them. Feel free to leave a link to your blog at the end, but don't just reply so you can leave a link. Any comments about giveaways etc on your blog will be ignored, sorry! <3