Pages



Thursday, August 13, 2015

Battle Of The Foundations


I've tried a fair few foundations in my time (mostly drugstore), and I'm constantly searching for something better. I go through phases of ADORING a foundation, and then I go off it, or something better comes along, but I don't think that anything is ever perfect. I thought I'd put four foundations to the test, wearing one each day, and decide which was the best of the bunch by the end of it.


The first to test was Bourjois Healthy Mix. I'd convinced myself that this was the greatest foundation of all time. And I do love it! It's got a nice, dewy finish, it's not too orangey, it feels (and smells) nice on the skin, and it blends well. I wore this at work - a six hour shift of constant moving and physical activity, so a lot of sweating. Even with powder I would expect any foundation to wear off by the end of it. And it did. It looked quite frankly awful by the time I got home, and could've done with a whole new coat to look fresh again. As far as colour goes, it's too dark for my skin (I think), but not overly so. I just have to be careful with how I blend it and make sure I get my jaw (which I always seem to miss...) to avoid gross lines.

Lasting power: 5
Finish: 7 / dewy
Colour: 6
Coverage: 6
Feel: 7
Blendability: 7
Bonus: smells 10/10 :)


Secondly I tried L'Oreal True Match - a foundation which was my absolute favourite about a year ago. It is the PERFECT colour for pale girls, it's quite lightweight, and it's easy to blend. By the end of my six hour shift, this wasn't looking too good. It was patchy and worn off, and clung to certain areas of my skin. Not even dry patches, because I'm pretty sure I have none of those, just... patches. It wasn't a good look. Honestly I don't know how I feel about this foundation and I think it's main selling point for me is the colour. I don't think I'd wear it on its own, but I do use it every single day to mix with another foundation to get it closer to my skin tone.

Lasting power: 4
Finish: 6 / normal
Colour: 10
Coverage: 6
Feel: 7
Blendability: 7
Negatives: goes patchy


Mac Studio Fix is a favourite among many, and rightly so. It's high coverage and gives a nice, natural finish on the skin. It lasts well and has an SPF of 15 which is always good in my books. I expected this to come on top, since it's Mac and Mac is God and all. It did still look good by the end of the day. Not flawless, but better than the other two. No clinging to areas or going patchy, but worn off as you'd expect. As far as colour goes, this is too dark for me, but it isn't the lightest shade unlike the other foundations I've mentioned, so I can't give it any minus points for that really! It's a little thicker and harder to blend than the other foundations, but it gives a much better coverage. I also find it feels a bit gross on my face and like I've got too much on it.

Lasting power: 7
Finish: 8 / natural
Colour: N/A
Coverage: 7
Feel: 6
Blendability: 6


I've saved the best for last! The L'Oreal Infallible 24H Matte foundation is the latest addition to my foundation collection, and I think I've firmly decided it's a favourite after this. By the end of my day at work, this was still looking pretty great. I would happily walk around after work without touching up my foundation. I was actually surprised by how well it stayed on since I didn't expect it to. This foundation is good for when you want a matte look, which I sometimes do. It also gives a very good coverage and the colour isn't bad either. The real negative of this is the packaging. It doesn't have a pump - you basically squeeze the bottle like you would with a lotion to get it out. I find this annoying since it's harder to measure how much you use, and I feel like it would run out faster than my other foundations because of this.

Lasting power: 8
Finish: 8 / matte
Colour: 7
Coverage: 8
Feel: 7
Blendability: 6
Negative: packaging

So to conclude, in first place is the L'Oreal 24H, second is Mac Studio Fix, and I think third is a tie between Bourjois Healthy Mix and L'Oreal True Match.

I hope you found this post interesting / helpful - I don't particularly like just doing reviews of products which already have thousands of reviews out there so I thought this was a good way to create something a bit more unique and helpful in a different way. If you do want individual reviews of the products, I have reviewed Bourjois Healthy Mix and L'Oreal True Match (first ever blog post!) in the past, but they might be a bit dated compared to my opinions now. Like I said, my views change a lot!

5 comments:

  1. I haven't tried ANY of these so this was a great read! L'Oreal Infallible has to be top of my list, heard nothing but great things :)

    Claire | Stylingo.co.uk | xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's why I bought it! I saw that Lily Melrose liked it & I always trust her opinion so I had to buy it. No regrets! x

      Delete
  2. I love how you gave them all marks: so helpful! I actually really like SFF (outside the awful smell!) but I only really use it for nights out. Infallible matte didn't work out for me as unfortunately the colour range was so bad that the one I ended up with looked awful on :( hopefully they'll expand it so I can give it a fair go xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I don't mind the smell of it, it reminds me of paint and cupcakes. Oh see I always just pick the lightest shade and this one isn't AWFUL, so I don't know much about the other shades. It is really good though so it's a shame it didn't work out for you!

      Delete
  3. Great post, really informative! For me, I find that the Boujois Healthy Mix foundation is my go-to, especially when dealing with dry skin. I do like the sound of L'oreal's True Match one though x

    Aliya x | thecatandthegirl.blogspot.co.uk | https://www.bloglovin.com/people/thegirl09-10150959

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and replying to them. Feel free to leave a link to your blog at the end, but don't just reply so you can leave a link. Any comments about giveaways etc on your blog will be ignored, sorry! <3