Pages



Sunday, November 16, 2014

How To Grow Your Hair / Why Long Hair Sucks / Hair Regrets


I found these pictures from a post I'd planned on doing some time last year maybe and it hit me with some inspiration to do the post again. So these pictures are quite old but still apply! It's essentially tips for growing your hair and why I regret getting an undercut, as well as why long hair is SO VERY ANNOYING. If you don't know what an undercut is I've put in an awful picture below from MANY years ago, but essentially it's that shaved bit on the side of my head. Please do not judge the strange lines, I was experimenting with patterns and I KNOW IT LOOKS AWFUL!


Undercuts:

SO I'm going to start out talking about my undercut. I got it when I was around fourteen. They hadn't got big on tumblr or anything at the time (I don't even know if people really used tumblr at that point) and I just thought it would be fun to shave the side of my head. I'd seen it on celebrities like Cassie and Ellie Goulding and decided I really liked it. And I did like it, and I still do like them. The trouble was, I cut it myself and I was never completely happy with the way it was cut but it was already gone and there was no changing it. It was really fun to play around with it though. It grew back so fast so I was always shaving it and doing weird things with it (like that little longer bit at the front in the picture above - that was fun), I even had blonde *ginger* stripes in it at one point.

The only thing is, at one point you won't want the undercut anymore. And I did NOT want to cut my hair at all because I was trying to grow it. So for ages I had this awkward length piece of hair at the front. And trust me, it looked awful for at least a year before it finally started to blend in with the rest of my hair. I think that now, maybe I would go back and not have an undercut because I'm stuck with this shorter piece of hair until I finally decide to cut my hair to that length. You might guess that I'm reluctant to do that because my hair is so long. The picture below illustrates the difference in length. And so does the one below that... sort of.


How to grow long hair:

Now onto the hair growing part. People often comment on how long my hair is and ask me how I possibly managed to grow it this long. The only way to grow your hair really it to NOT CUT IT or only get it trimmed to get rid of the dead parts. That's all there is to it. Deciding that you do not want to cut your hair out of boredom and you definitely want long hair. I've always wanted long hair but always got bored and ended up cutting it before it was even below my boobs. It just got to a point where I decided I was just going to let it grow... and I did. 

I also often treat my hair with oils such as coconut oil and other products such as the Alchemy Oils remedy. I definitely think that helps with keeping some of its moisture. I tend to leave them in for around 40 minutes, if not I'll leave them over night.

I use a boar bristle hair brush and a tangle teezer. I'm sure you'll all know about tangle teezers. They're essentially little brushes with soft, flexible bristles that won't rip or damage your hair which is what results in split ends. A boar bristle hair brush is made out of boar hair (I think?) and is basically sort of soft and doesn't do much in terms of getting rid of tangles. I use this to brush through my hair to distribute natural oils to the ends to keep my hair healthy. I would not recommend using this in the morning as it can end up making your hair look greasy. There's also no point in using it right after you wash your hair as there won't be much in the way of natural oils.

I never straighten or blowdry my hair. Like ever. I think I've done either thing twice in the last three years maybe. That definitely helps a lot. But if you do straighten or blowdry your hair, definitely use a heat protectant.

I rarely tie my hair up. This can cause strain on your hair and cause breakages. If I do tie it up I use hair ties with thicker coating rather than the thin ones as they won't harm your hair as much. If I'm sitting around the house I'll either use a soft fabric head band to tie my hair up or a big grip to hold it in place in a bun. Neither look is particularly good but both ways will not harm your hair!

I never ever brush my hair when it's wet. Your hair is more susceptible to breakages when it's wet because its elasticity is increased. Or something. I'm no expert. But brushing your hair when it's wet is bad. If you absolutely must, I'd recommend using a tangle teezer or a wet brush (as in the brand. not a brush that's wet). Personally I wouldn't use those either, I'd just wait for it to dry and then brush it.

And I think that's all I really do? I also don't colour my hair (though I'm planning to tomorrow). There are other ways like changing your diet and I've heard using horse shampoo could result in an increased rate of growth but I haven't tried that so wouldn't know. 


The struggles of long hair:

It gets knotty SO quickly. It's ridiculous. Like within an hour or something. And if it's windy, you're done for. I can't even be bothered to brush it half of the time because it takes at least ten minutes.

It always gets stuck down the backs of tops / jackets and it's a right old job to get it out. Honestly, it takes longer than you'd think to free it from its trap.

It gets in the way. A lot. Of pretty much everything I do, but the worst is eating because then it gets food in it. Like I'm pretty sure I always have food in my hair if I don't put it behind my shoulders.

It's just so much effort to wash and brush and everything. I miss the easy days.

People always say "wow your hair is so long!" and then that's all they say to me. A fact that I already know and then they have no other conversation to make and it's the most boring thing in the world.

Volume is no longer a thing. It's so heavy and flat and boring. And yes, I suppose you can do more styles with it than short hair, but the styles take so long that I don't even want to do them.

So that's enough of me moaning about my hair! I'm sure there's more that I've missed out but that's all from me for the moment. While I do not dislike having long hair because I think it looks better on me and I kind of just want to see exactly how long it will grow to, it is maybe a lot more effort than it's worth and I constantly think I should just get it cut off to make life easier. I know I would regret that though!


16 comments:

  1. ah your hair is gorgeous! You were so brave to get the under cut, I could never do it ha ha

    Eilidh from Velvet-Winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I was like fourteen and thought I was super cool!

      Delete
  2. I think your post is what I've always been needing to read!!
    When I was 16 I really wanted an undercut but gave up on the idea when I was 19...probably for the best as I'd hate the wait for the grow out to happen! And I've been trying to grow my hair for years, but maybe the constant hair dying needs to stop, haha.
    Going to take this tips on and work on finally growing my hair :)

    Sarah xo || time to see the stars ||

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! Yeah dying definitely doesn't help. I just bleached the ends of my hair and they look awful now haha! Might have to go for a trim x

      Delete
  3. Great post! the things we do when we're young. Some very bad decisions hehe! The things i've used that really work are the Lee Stafford hair growth shampoo and if you take some oil right before you plan on washing your hair and massage your scalp for 15-20 mins, it promotes hair growth, well it works for me anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I used to use that Lee Stafford stuff but I'm not a fan of it anymore. I much prefer Aussie products. I also don't like to put oil on my scalp as I find it really difficult to wash out, but I have done that a couple of times before x

      Delete
  4. Can't believe how long your hair is! I'm so jealous - I had all mine cut off a couple of years ago because it was so damaged from bleach xx

    www.vanillabeautyx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a right pain though! Gonna have to get it cut soon I think as I've bleached it a lot recently! x

      Delete
  5. your have amazing hair!so long im so jelouse!
    great post

    JADE|| http://jadenewton-taylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha you wouldn't be if you knew how hard it is to manage!

      Delete
  6. I used to cut my own hair, too. It was fun, but I always regretted it. Now I have very long hair and only trim the ends. My hair stylist refuses to cut it much shorter because she loves long hair too (and probably knows I would regret it). Even if I wanted to, no one wants to help me shorten it because they say it's a pity. xD

    But my hair is of a curly/wavy type, so I must brush it while it's wet. Brushing it when it's dry always ruins its shape. Unless it's straightened, then boar brush is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I really want to cut mine but I know I'd regret it so I just can't. I think one day I probably will cut it though because I'll be too bored. If you have to brush it while it's wet, have you tried the brand Wet? They're designed specifically for wet hair so wouldn't damage it as much.

      Delete
  7. Your hair is lush! I want my hair to go down to my bellybutton, because I don't think I would be able to cope with it any longer haha!
    Thanks for the tips, they were helpful(:

    http://makeupbeautyandlifefashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! Yeah I think it's about manageable at bellybutton length but the length it is now is truly too much. Forever thinking I should just cut it short!

      Delete
  8. I have been growing my hair for what must be the best part of five years! I have a serious fear of getting it cut and I just trim it myself oops! I have the same tangle, knotting problems as you and I'm pretty sure straw is softer than the ends of my hair! I've been contemplating a small trim but can't commit to it!
    It always seems to be flat to my head, I'm considering getting some large velvet rollers or some moose to try and try it with more volume!
    www.wanderfreeblog.wordpress.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha mine can be pretty flat too! I usually use some dry shampoo for volume and it works pretty well x

      Delete

I love reading all of your comments and replying to them. Feel free to leave a link to your blog at the end, but don't just reply so you can leave a link. Any comments about giveaways etc on your blog will be ignored, sorry! <3