Pages



Saturday, October 25, 2014

My Autumn / Winter Nail Polish Picks!


Hi guys! Since we're now well into the colder months I thought I'd do a post on some of my favourite nail polishes for this time of year. I do love my blues and pastels still but for when I'm feeling particularly Autumnal or Christmassy, these are the colours I would gravitate towards.

Probably my favourite of them all if a Barry M Gelly Hi-Shine Nail Paint in the shade 'Watermelon'. I don't think that the name is particularly appropriate for it since when I think of watermelons I think of bright pinks and Summer, but still. It's a really nice, dark green with a slightly bluish tinge to it. It looks really nice and dark on the nails, and I think it's a really good alternative for black since I know a lot of people who wouldn't wear black nail polish but would like something dark. It is the perfect colour for this time of year since I always love my dark greens and dark reds!

Secondly is one from Ciate - a brand I have raved about in previous blog posts. This is in the shade 'boudoir' and I got this one, as well as the others in this post, in last year's advent calendar (which you should definitely consider picking up this year since it's AMAZING!). It's a dark red but it's slightly less blue-toned than what you would typically consider an Autumnal red. It is not a burgundy or a maroon - it's sort of slightly darker than a classic red. I think I like this one so much because it isn't that typical colour everyone wears as soon as it starts to get cold. Plus, Ciate polishes are really good on a whole!

Taking third place for my top nail polish colours is another Barry M and this time it's 'Mushroom'. I bought this a few years ago because I became suddenly obsessed with dark nude nails and I purchased this while on my hunt for that perfect brown / nude. I found it to be a little too dark for my liking at the time but now I'm loving it. It's like a washed out, greyish brown and I think it can look really classy so if you're going for a more elegant look this might be the perfect shade just to add that little bit of colour without standing out or looking tacky.


Fourth place is more of a top coat than a colour itself and it is 'snow globe' from Ciate. I tend to put this over the top of my ring finger to add a bit of detail to my manicure and a bit of sparkle. It has little iridescent flecks in it and adds that subtle and unique sparkle. I find it looks particularly good over a pastel blue for a particularly icy look in the Winter!

Next up I've got another of those muted colours and this is a Maybelline Color Show polish in 'Moss'. I purchased this around Christmas last year to add a bit of variety to my usual dark green nails and instead have something a little softer and different. So if you're looking for a green that isn't the classic dark green then this might be a good one for you, though I find that the formula of Maybelline nail polishes isn't quite up to scratch and they can often take quite a while to dry.

And finally, it's another from Ciate that is absolutely PERFECT for Christmas in the shade 'christmas tree caviar'. This is not your typical polish. If you've never come across these before, they're little balls which you tip on top of your nail polish while it's still drying and you get an amazing, textured look. If you look at the blog post I've linked above you can get an example of how they look. The balls in this one are red, green, gold and bronze so are absolutely perfect for Christmas. I am absolutely going to wear this on Christmas day and I couldn't recommend it enough. 

And that's all of the nail polishes I've got for you! I have so many more that I love but I wanted to cut it down to only a few and these are the ones that made the cut. Please do let me know your favourite nail polishes for this time of year below! I need to invest in some more!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely colours, all perfect for this time of year x

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful shades :] x

    www.esttrill.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and replying to them. Feel free to leave a link to your blog at the end, but don't just reply so you can leave a link. Any comments about giveaways etc on your blog will be ignored, sorry! <3