Pages



Friday, August 01, 2014

Review: Essence Cosmetics


Good evening, one and all. Or morning, or afternoon, or whatever hour it may be during which you are reading this. For some time now I have had this post planned and I have only just reached a point where I feel I can do it! So earlier on in the year I was invited to an Essence event but was unfortunately unable to attend which makes me super sad since it looked like it was amazing! Anyway, instead of actually going they were kind enough to send me a few things to try out!

For those of you who don't know much about Essence, they are a brand which has been in Europe for a while now but just launched in the UK! They're a budget friendly brand who do not test on animals (wahoo!) and are available to buy from Wilkinson's at the moment, I believe.

I'm going to start with the least exciting and build my way up. Nail varnish isn't particularly exciting to me since I can't wear it to work so all I see it as is a nuisance and my nails already snap off all the time and I just can't be bothered. Even so, I do sometimes give in and end up putting it on. The particular shade I was sent was love me, cupcake!* and it's a sort of dusky purpley nude sort of thing. You can see it in action with one coat here. I think this is the sort of colour where one coat looks quite nice since it's still a little translucent but since it's almost a nude it's just a really subtle thing. I'm calling it a 'nude' but it does have a definite purple hint to it and it's not what you might typically call a 'nude' - I just thought it had that sort of classy look to it. I was truly SO impressed with this nail polish. I'm not even exaggerating, it was so good. It dried so quickly even with two coats. I'm not sure how well it did on the chipping front since I was only able to test it on my toes for a long time due to work. It didn't chip on my toes though! Also a huge benefit for me was that it was so easy to remove which honestly is so important to me. I was completely impressed by this nail polish and would definitely go out to buy more colours.


Next of all is a mascara. I took quite a few pictures with this one but realistically I don't think I can post them because it definitely is NOT the most flattering colour. Here's a picture anyway just to give you an idea of how it looks on if you're interested in it. Mine was in the shade 05* and it's a sort of pastel purple. Who knows, you might be interested in this colour. I know that ciate have just launched a mascara range similar to this but these Essence mascaras are definitely more budget friendly. The eye on the left is the mascara with a white base coat of mascara and on the right is the mascara alone. As you can see, the colour pops a lot more with another mascara underneath. Also, i feel that the one on the left has a lot more volume and since it is described as a 'volume mascara' you would expect it to give more volume. I have absolutely no idea when I'd wear a purple mascara but perhaps there'll be some kind of fancy dress opportunity where I'm feeling it! Or perhaps you might want to put it only on the bottom lashes for a pop of colour. I have no idea what a person might do with a coloured mascara! If you've ever used it to actually go out in public not in fancy dress, please let me know since I'd love to know how to use it well.


Thirdly is another impressive product which is the anti-spot compact powder*. I've never thought to get a powder which is 'anti-spot' before since I wouldn't say they're a huge issue for me but I actually think I benefitted from this. I gave it a good old test over a few weeks to see if it actually did anything. I genuinely did notice that I had less spots while I was wearing this which surprised me. Honestly, the one day I wore a different powder my skin seemed to get worse. Now I don't know if that was just a coincidence due to going out drinking that night but that is just how my skin responded. It is proven to be effective by dermatologists too so I suppose it must work! It also did everything you'd expect a powder to do like mattifying the skin etc. All the boring stuff! Can't say anything bad about it nor anything miraculous, simply that I saw a difference in my spots while using this and it did its job!

And FINALLY is my favourite! I'm not usually a lip gloss girl. I have issues with my lips and don't really want to draw attention to them so most of the time I'll leave them alone but I've been using this a lot lately. Like seriously a lot. It smells / tastes so good. I'm not even sure what it is but it reminds me of childhood. Sort of like cotton candy or something. This lip gloss felt so moisturising and not at all sticky. It was truly the perfect lipgloss for me, even down to the shade which is rising star*. I've mentioned before that I'm loving that sort of baby pink colour. The sparkles in it are really subtle so it just makes your lips look shiny rather that glittery - a huge plus for me since I absolutely hate huge chunks of glitter! The smell is quite potent, I'll admit. I just put it on my hand and I can smell it so if you're not up for a strong-smelling lip gloss, though the smell is SO yummy, then I wouldn't recommend it. It is quite a thick formula and it's not going to be moving anywhere particularly fast. This is another product from them which I think I would repurchase in more colours.

I'm so surprised that I like such an inexpensive brand so much! I always seem to think that a big price tag means a better product but that's definitely not the case. I would completely recommend the lip gloss and nail varnish to anybody, and the powder if you're worried about spots! Not sure about the purple mascara. I can't say I ever plan on wearing it! Even so, amazing products from a great brand! Definitely head to their website and have a nose - I plan on hitting up my local Wilkinson's to see if they're stocking them there (probably not - I live in the worst place in the world).


8 comments:

  1. Purple mascara!? Amazing!!

    xxx | daisydaisyxxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's cray. Apparently trying it on only the ends is the way forward! x

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely mascaraa, I love purple color.

    style-mepretty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is really nice. I wish I would actually wear it but I just don't think it's my thing! x

      Delete
  3. Nice review. I have tried a few Essence things now (mainly nail things) and I've been impressed. Might have to pop out and get some other bits from their make up range as well! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love the nail varnish for a subtle colour.

    If you wanted to see what I thought of things that I have tried you can check out my link below
    http://pinkglowsprettypolish.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/essence-lets-get-lost-and-magnetic-top.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really impressed by their quality too! Shows that the price tag isn't always a reflection of the quality :) x

      Delete
  4. these products look so nice. I love how the packaging is all pretty and pastel coloured :) x
    http://rachelcoco.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and replying to them. Feel free to leave a link to your blog at the end, but don't just reply so you can leave a link. Any comments about giveaways etc on your blog will be ignored, sorry! <3