Drugstore Pale Skin Makeup Starter Kit


I was trying to think of a post to do which I hadn't done before the other day that I could photograph fairly quickly since I am very lacking in time lately, and I decided on a makeup starter kit. As I was looking through the photographs I realised a few of the items are quite good for pale skin. So this isn't necessarily only for people with pale skin but some of the items are things I think are particularly good for my fellow pale skinned beauty lovers. I've collected together all of the essential items to every makeup bag (I think), and selected the best of the drugstore. Hopefully you find this useful!



I'm gonna go in order of application here because why not? I find drugstore primers sort of hard to find. I don't know if that's just because I am blind to primers or because there aren't many. Those that there are are tend to be sort of oily and greasy and gross. I'm not a fan of that type of primer and this is the only drugstore primer I've found that I actually like. The L'Oreal Studio Secrets Smoothing Resurfacing primer retails at £14.29 which is fairly pricey for something from the drugstore. It's worth it and I use it every single day. I may do a full review on it some day since I don't want to go into too much detail here. It's really mattifying and erases pores better than any other primer I've ever tried - I absolutely love it.


Also from L'Oreal is the True Match foundation which is around £10. This foundation is great for somebody with pale skin who wants a medium to full coverage since it's buildable and they do shades for different undertones. I usually mix this with Mac Studio Fix in NW15 just to get the perfect shade but it looks great on its own too. If you want more details on this foundation I've got a review here. I then follow it up with the Collection Lasting Perfection concealer. I can only apologise for the state of the packaging! They've recently updated it to make it look sort of more expensive anyway. It's around £4 and I'm sure you've heard great things about it before. I do find it creases a bit under my eyes but most concealers do so I can't really complain. I've just realised I forgot to photograph a powder but the Rimmel Stay Matte is a great one as I'm sure you've heard before. I've been using that since I was about eleven!


Another pale skin favourite is the Body Shop honey bronzer which is £13. I think I have this in the shade 02. I swatched all of the shades in the shop and the three lightest seemed basically exactly the same to me so I just got this shade. It'll give you a nice subtle bronzed look which is great if you're sick of putting something on for every day and ending up with excessive contouring which overpowers everything else. I use this bronzer every day but if I want something a little less subtle, NYC do some great ones for much cheaper.



I seem to love most blushers as long as they're not excessively bright and pigmented, especially lately. I've even been liking the Bourjois Little Round Pots which previously I hadn't been a huge fan of. This Sleek palette is definitely my most used though. The mirror is really useful since it's such a good size. This is the Pink Lemonade palette and it costs £9.99. They also do a lot of other palettes but I chose this one for the shade on the left since it's a pale pink which looks great on pale skin. I don't use the shade in the middle much but the one on the right gets a lot of use too. They've got just the right amount of pigment and stay on the face for a good few hours. I've got a review of this palette up here if you want to find out more!


I am a huuuuge fan of the Maybelline Color Tattoos. The one pictured is Pink Gold but I also love On and On Bronze and Permanent Taupe. They make great bases for eyeshadow or can be worn alone and they're so quick and easy to apply. I just use my finger to apply them. I know a lot of people use brushes but I actually prefer to use my finger and it saves on brush cleaning. The MUA palettes are amazing things. They're £4 which is just amazing for 12 shades and I've been using mine for months and haven't hit pan on any of the colours. The particular one photographed is Undress Me Too but I'm sure they're all equally as good so it's all down to personal choice. The low price makes them great for somebody starting out with makeup. The palette underneath is the Matte Palette which I use for my eyebrows. I prefer to use a powder for my brows and I prefer this to any other colour I've used before. I choose it over Mac's Charcoal Brown which is £10 just for the one. I also sometimes use Permanent Taupe of the Maybelline Colour Tattoos for my brows too if I want something a little bolder.


I am telling you that this L'Oreal Super Liner is the greatest thing ever. I've had it for aaages and it hasn't run out yet. The thin tip makes it easy to apply and it's long-lasting. It stays put all day. Can't say anything bad about this at all.


A lip balm, lip stick and lip gloss are essential. Carmex is a great one for lip balm and I've got a bit of a review here if you want to know more about Carmex lip balm and other lip care essentials. I chose a Revlon Colourburst Matte balm which I cannot remember the name of and I can't locate it currently, but it's orange. I think this is a good one because it's really bright but if you wanted just a bit of colour you could dab it on with your finger and follow up with a gloss, such as this Barry M lip gloss which is colourless with a sparkle to it. Since taking these pictures I've picked up a Revlon lip butter and I think I'd choose that over the matte balms in retrospect since it's a much easier product to wear which feels much more comfortable and isn't nearly as bold.


And of course, BRUSHES! Before I actually got into the enjoyment of makeup, I didn't own any brushes apart from those crappy ones which literally feel like a shoe brush or something. And of course, the classic sponge eyeshadow brush thing. But brushes are definitely needed and I do not know what I was thinking. Left to right: Real Techniques powder brush, Barbara Daly brush (don't know the name), Barbara Daly brush (don't know the name again), Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, Ecotools eyeliner brush, Real Techniques shading brush. I use the RT powder brush for powder and the expert face brush for foundation. I wouldn't use any other brush for foundation currently since I love the size of it and how densely packed the bristles are (is bristles the right word. I'm so awful with words, I always forget them when blogging...). These two Barbara Daly brushes were so cheap, like less then £2. I think I got them when there was some kind of offer on from Tesco. They're not the softest brushes or the best but I just wanted a couple of backups and I've actually started using them more. The first one would make a good contour brush and the other a blush brush. They give good control when applying product and they're actually amazing for the price, in my opinion. I use the Ecotools brush for my brows. I use this in preference to any other brush like this since it is very thin and small so it's easy to control. And the RT eyeshadow brush I use for packing on colour. All of their eyeshadow brushes are great and so soft and they are my most used brushes!

I tried to keep this quite basic and minimal but at the same time cover all essential areas. Let me know in the comments what you'd include in your makeup starter kits or what you think of any of the products mentioned here!





Comments

  1. Great post!
    xx

    Anouska
    Anouskamillar.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post! Posts like this are so useful for someone like me who has really pale skin and doesn't own a lot of makeup. I love trying new drugstore products :) Thanks!

    Étáin xxx

    Étáin’s Little World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I'm glad you found it useful :) xx

      Delete
  3. I have the palest skin ever haha I really want to try out the Revlon colorburst and MUA palettes :-)
    Nice post!
    www.prettythoughtsx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are completely worth the money! Some of my favourite drugstore products x

      Delete
  4. Great post! Sleek and MUA do some of the best drugstore product for such good prices!

    CassandraMyee | Beauty | Fashion | Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do! Amazing prices x

      Delete
  5. I have super pale skin and I struggle so bad to find products that match my skin tone. BB creams and foundations are always too dark, and so are concealers. And because my skin is super pale, I have extremely dark under eye circles. So not only I can't find concealers that match my skin, but neither can I find concealers that will cover them. And let me mention highlighters. My skin is so pale you can't even distinguish them...

    xx, Be || lovefrombe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have the problem with highlighters doing nothing too. You could try mixing your palest foundations with a white foundation. I know Barry M used to do one but I think it might be discontinued however I'm sure there are other brands out there that do them. I used to put talcom powder on my face to make foundation paler. It did work but probably wasn't a brilliant idea. I don't know, I was fifteen haha x

      Delete
  6. Great post! We definitely need more posts for people with pale skin and drugstore products as well, this is such a great guide! I love the color tattoos as well, they are amazing and easy to work with :)

    Tanja Mortensen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad some people are finding it useful! x

      Delete
  7. Agree with all of these! And I'm still yet to find a high street primer that I like, I'm totally stuck on benefits porefection! Might have to give the lo'real one a go!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The L'Oreal one is so worth it, I absolutely love it. I don't know why there isn't a load of hype around it because it's one of my favourite products! x

      Delete
  8. I've been loving sleek blushes! And the L'oreal foundation is definitely one of my staple makeup products. So good!

    Angela xxx
    The Sunday Chapter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great products you have here! I also use Carmex :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So many people seem to use Carmex. It's just too good x

      Delete
  10. wonderful products <3

    x Maria
    New outfit post up on my blog
    featuring my new light pink summer dress
    www.retrostreetstation.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post. I was after a new brow brush so I'll have to have a look at ecotools!

    Belle ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should. It's the best I've managed to find!

      Delete
  12. Great post !

    http://fruityandpassion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is very helpful since im somewhat pale myself :D

    Its Rozee Daily

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading all of your comments and replying to them. Feel free to leave a link to your blog at the end, but don't just reply so you can leave a link. Any comments about giveaways etc on your blog will be ignored, sorry! <3

Popular Posts