Pages



Tuesday, May 27, 2014

My Lipcare Recommendations

lipcare lip balm scrub tint

Recently (aka for the past eighteen years), I have truly struggled with dry, chapped lips which just do not get better no matter what. I've tried just about every drugstore lip treatment and nothing cuts the bill! But from my experience of reasonably-priced lipcare products, this is what I deem to be the best!

lipcare lip balm scrub tint

To start out, you're going to want a good lip scrub. These lush lip scrubs retail at £5.50 which seems rather on the pricey side for a bit of sugar in a pot, but personally I think they're worth the money and I am willing to pay. I've only ever tried the bubblegum scrub (candy floss flavoured) and santa's lip scrub (cola flavoured) but I love them both, particularly the bubblegum one. I'm not really sure why it's called bubblegum lip scrub and yet it's described as having a candy floss flavour but THERE YOU GO, the world is a mystery to us all. And Santa's lip scrub is only available at Christmas (who'd have guessed?) so if you're looking for some cola in your life, you're going to have to wait a few months. Basically you just scrub these on your lips to get rid of any dead skin and dirt and stuff and then either lick it off or wipe it off with a wash cloth. Personally I lick it off even though some people think that's gross because I am fearless (and it tastes amazing). There's some pretty fabulous ingredients in these (though the ingredients are few) such as jojoba oil which makes them extra awesome. 

Anyway, if you want a good lip scrub, I will just let you know that you do not need to pay £5.50, though you may want to. You can easily make your own! There are a lot of recipes out there. Usually all you need is a bit of sugar, olive oil, coconut oil, vanilla flavouring and such ingredients and you whack them all together, shove it in a pot and you're ready to go. HOWEVER. You don't even need to go to that extent! You could just take a lip balm (preferably something in a squeezy bottle like Carmex) and dip it into a bit of sugar and then scrub that onto your lips. It's as easy as that. I'd recommend scrubbing your lips every morning if you're planning on wearing lipstick, particularly if it's a matte lipstick, and on days where your lips are just looking gross.

So once your lips are nice and smooth and potentially tasting like a fairy has pooped on them, you're going to need some lip balm to stop them from drying out. I would never recommend using a scrub if you don't have a lip balm to follow it up!

lipcare lip balm scrub tint

I have truly tried every single lip balm under the sun. Well, maybe not every lip balm. But SO MANY LIP BALMS. The only ones that do anything at all the my lips are Carmex and Blistex. The other lip balms simply create a sort of greasy layer on my lips which doesn't moisturise at all. In fact, it prevents additional moisture from getting to your lips. Bad idea. I'm sure you're all aware that some lip balms also have ingredients in them which dry your lips out rather than moisturise so you'll keep on applying it. I'm not sure which actually do that but apparently some do. I've also heard that Salicylic Acid dries out your lips though, and that's an ingredient in Carmex. So who knows! The classic Carmex lip balm has a tingley, minty taste and feeling to it and it does what it says on the tin and moisturises your lips while you're wearing it. It requires a few applications through the day for me. I always wear this before applying lipstick. The Blistex Intensive Moisturiser has that same, minty, tingly feeling to it but it's not so much of a lip balm as a moisturiser. It literally looks like a moisturiser - it's creamy and white in colour. If I'm having a no make up day I'll wear this and I always put it on before I go to bed. I don't know if you'd want to wear it throughout the day if you're going to be seen by people because it can be visible on the lips and who wants white lips? Nobody! I'm always looking for natural alternatives to lip balms (and everything in life really) and I tried out coconut oil and mentioned it in a previous post so just head on over to that if you're interested.

lipcare lip balm scrub tint

Finally, if your lips are feeling extra awful (a bit like mine right now which are in fact bleeding) but you want some colour in your life, a tinted lip balm is the way forward! I love the flavour of this Baby Lips as it is peach in both flavour and colour. This doesn't give a huge amount of colour but it is a PEACH TINT so what can you expect? I'd recommend getting one of the pink ones because a pink or red tint is going to show up more. Definitely still wear a lip balm underneath this though because it's really not at all moisturising. I've heard some people saying that it is, but perhaps those people don't have lips like the Sahara Desert. It's just your average lip balm but not really for moisturising purposes! Still better than a lipstick or lip gloss, but, for me, it really didn't cut it as the type of thing I'd wear daily.

With all of this, my lips still hurt a lot of the time! Next on my list of things to fix my lips is the Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour lip balm (or whatever it's called) and La Roche Posay's lip balm of which I cannot remember the name but somebody recommended it to me! If you have any recommendations for things to fix these salted slugs on my face please let me know, I NEED YOUR ADVICE, BEAUTY EXPERTS!

24 comments:

  1. Blistex is just perfect for dry lips like mine, great post ;p

    x Rose
    http://crumbliest.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great! I find it's rare to find a good lip balm but Blistex for sure is one of the best x

      Delete
  2. The LUSH lip scrubs are my favorite! Have you ever tried the popcorn one? It's amazing! I'm also quite a fan of the baby lips lip balm, my favorite is the clear medicated one, it really does help keep your lips moisturized and keeps them from cracking and getting chapped!

    Great post!

    xxCalli

    http://madeupon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the popcorn one, no! I smelled it in store a while ago but preferred the bubblegum. I'll probably end up buying it eventually since I do love them. I've also never tried the medicated baby lips as I can never ever find them! I mean I don't exactly look for them but I've never come across one. I expect they'd be better for moisturisation than the tinted ones! x

      Delete
  3. I've tried the Bubblegum lip scrub and I really liked it - I licked it off my lips too haha. For me the best one is the Carmex original, my lips gets really dry and this is the one that has successfully kept them from getting overly chapped this year! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Carmex is magnificent. The bottle does annoy me sometimes though. I much prefer the twizzly ones... if you know what I mean by that ahahaa x

      Delete
  4. I love the bubblegum lip scrub, although I don't get why it isn't called candy floss either! Don't worry, you're not the only one who licks it off haha, it's too delicious not to x

    holly la beau

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't even taste like candy floss. It just tastes like snow fairy to me hahaha x

      Delete
  5. I love the Lush lip scrubs, but I didn't like how Santa's stained my lips. Anyways, I love mint julips and haven't tried bubblegum. great post!

    http://youarebeaut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It stained your lips?! Didn't for me, but I found that the 'edible hearts' tasted like soap! I just try to avoid them x

      Delete
  6. I love this post! I suffer from intense chapped lips aswell ALL YEAR ROUND and I agree, it is not fun. I actually had a go at making my own lip scrub this afternoon, and its so yummy! I'm also loving babylips.
    Great post :)

    Ashleigh xx

    indulgenceofahousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so annoying! I hate having such bad lips :( I'm going to make my own lip scrub once I've used up these lush things or when I next get bored, I think. It'd be fun to play around with different flavours, I think x

      Delete
  7. If you want hardcore moisture, try LYPSYL. it only comes in mint flavor, but super moisturizing. Also, the tinted Burt Bees lip balms are great for moisturizing. I don't care much for the regular Burt Bees regardless of flavor. I am using one now and it's not the most moisturizing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give it a go! Another one for my list of things to fix my lips! x

      Delete
  8. Lovely tips! I find just going over your lips with a toothbrush gets rid of dry skin too and soothes them! xx

    Beauty Soup | UK Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I meant to mention that in my post but forgot and couldn't be bothered to edit it, haha! A toothbrush or a flannel. That way always scares me though, I feel like I'm going to tear my lips apart (even though I'm probably not going to...) x

      Delete
  9. I really want to try the Blistex Treatment, it sounds like such a fab budget buy! xx

    Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is one of the best. I've wasted so much money on crappy lip balms, wish I'd just gone straight to Carmex and Blistex x

      Delete
  10. I love the lush lip scrubs. A must before I wear matte lipsticks and my lips are always so dry. I love the Nivea lip butters. So moisturising.
    Beth x
    mermaidindisguise.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nivea didn't do anything for me tbh! Didn't feel like my lips were moisturised at all :( x

      Delete
  11. I have carmex and baby lips 'hydrate' and love them both! I really should try the lush lip scrubs, I've heard so many great things about them. But I usually just make my own using honey and sugar - I'll have to test which is better.

    Lou x
    Bluebird | Beauty and life blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine there's much difference between a bought and made lip scrub to be honest! Might as well save some money and continue making your own x

      Delete
  12. Oh I've never tried Blistex! I must try it out! And I love Carmex!

    LFA Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing! Not sure if I prefer Blistex or Carmex still though x

      Delete

I love reading all of your comments and replying to them. Feel free to leave a link to your blog at the end, but don't just reply so you can leave a link. Any comments about giveaways etc on your blog will be ignored, sorry! <3