Coconut Oil: Is It Worth The Hype?


I'm sure you're all aware of the massive hype around coconut oil. I am a bit late to post about it but I thought I'd share my opinion because, as it often is, it's different to most peoples. 

I purchased the Lucy Bee Virgin Organic Coconut Oil which says it's good for cooking and stuff but it's 100% coconut oil so it can be used for all of our beauty purposes, which I expect is what you are interested in. My dad had scared me with this stuff because he kept on saying how awful it smelled but when it arrived it was all good because it just smells of coconut (what a surprise). It's solid at room temperature but melts at 24 degrees C so it's best to store in a cool place that won't get hit by the sun. I didn't do this and I was so confused when I opened it one day and it was a liquid. I don't think it melting has any effect on it though.

ANYWAY, I just rambled about a load of boring rubbish there, didn't I? Basically I tried using it as a hair mask, as a shaving... uhh... foam, a cleanser, a moisturiser and as a lip balm. Two of which disappointed me.


As a hair mask: I just took a couple of teaspoons into a bowl and heated it up for a few seconds and then applied it all over the lengths of my hair. Apparently it's best to heat it up because it contains fatty acids which make your hair shinier and healthier-looking (or something). So I did that and then left it in my hair overnight, putting a towel over my pillow to stop it from getting greasy. The next morning, I washed it off straight away. It wasn't any different to how it usually is, honestly. So I tried for a second time and still nothing. I did use an Argan Oil mask a few days later, however, which usually has no affect on my hair as well but this time it did make my hair a lot softer. I'm not sure if the coconut oil has anything to with this though. 

As a lip balm: It was like rubbing salt and water into my lips. I swear it made my lips feel dryer and it's way too greasy to apply throughout the day. Plus the fact that it's in a giant glass pot so wouldn't be practical for carrying around. I have very very dry lips though so bear that in mind.

As a shaving... foam: I loved it for this. You can apply it in the shower and it does not wash off unlike shaving foams and shower gels. I usually use conditioner as a shaving foam because it leaves skin feeling soft but this was better. Because it can be used as a moisturiser as well, there was no need to apply moisturiser afterwards as I could just use coconut oil. Plus, it felt as if I was getting a much closer shave than usual. So I'm not going to stop using it for this.

As a cleanser: I massaged this into my face and then took it off with a flannel and warm water. It worked as a cleansing oil but it wasn't as good as the Skin Revivals cleansing oil I use. So I would use it as a back up to this. 

As a moisturiser: Way too greasy for use in the morning. To me it doesn't feel like a great moisturiser for the face just because it is an oil and it doesn't feel like it's absorbing into my skin. I can't comment much about it for this since it was neither bad nor good.

So all in all it is a good product but worth the hype? Definitely not. It is great that it's natural, however, as I love using natural products if they do the job. I think I would repurchase to use for shaving and maybe a cleanser but nothing else. Maybe my views will change in a few months, who knows, but for now it isn't the miracle product everybody makes it out to be.

Let me know your views of coconut oil because I'd be interested to hear your experiences of it!

Comments

  1. Great post! Some of these uses I hadn't heard of, so thank you for sharing! I love using it when making lip scrubs though I will definatly be trying it out as a shaving cream haha! X x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cream! That's the word I was trying to think of hahaha. I was actually thinking of using it in a lip scrub but I have two from Lush that I should probably finish first x

      Delete
  2. i personally just use it for cooking :) a lot healthier , love it
    Melissa | The Inked Blonde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on using it for that when I actually start cooking! Going to have to buy a new tub though since I dip my foundation-covered fingers into this one!

      Delete
  3. I nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blog Award, which you can see it here: http://cups-and-roses.blogspot.gr/2014/05/very-inspiring-blogger-award.html#more :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to try coconut oil. I've read so much about it!!!!

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, it's been everywhere in the blogging world for a while. It's far too tempting not to get eventually!

      Delete
  5. I was thinking about give it a try one day but after read this post I might have a little thought about it again. Thanks for sharing your opinion :)

    Kiss me Sunday // Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's not as good as everyone makes it out to be! I think it is worth a try though. It could just be me because most products have very little effect on me. Depends whether you want to risk it or not! x

      Delete
  6. Ah, I don't really use coconut butter, and if I did I wouldn't know what I would use it for! I tried it in my hair and it doesn't work much so I stick to a Jamaican brand of hair oil. And on my face I don't like it much either - I tried Cocoa Butter and it works really well, if you use a very thin layer.

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/05/top-10-things-i-learned-from-finding.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool, I've never tried it :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love reading all of your comments and replying to them. Feel free to leave a link to your blog at the end, but don't just reply so you can leave a link. Any comments about giveaways etc on your blog will be ignored, sorry! <3

Popular Posts